Alarming Stats about our Nation and Schools
• In 4th grade, American students scored above the international average in Mathematics.
• By 8th grade, they dropped below the international average, and by 12th grade, our kids only outscored South Africa and Cyprus.
• By age 4, there is an 18-month academic gap between an impoverished child and his wealthier peers.
• In 2011, only 1 of 4 graduating seniors were prepared for college coursework.
• 75% of high school seniors were unfamiliar with basic facts about American government.
• 30% of all public high school students in the U.S. don’t graduate, and 32% of the 70% that do graduate aren’t college-ready.
• A U.S. high school student drops out every 26 seconds.
• Spending per student has tripled since 1970 and doubled since 1980 but achievement levels have stayed the same.