Students Grading Their Teachers
There is growing information on the merits (or lack thereof) around students rating their teachers. Gates Foundation has supported some research documented positive correlation between these 5 items about and student learning:
1. Students in this class treat the teacher with respect.
2. My classmates behave the way my teacher wants them to.
3. Our class stays busy and doesn’t waste time.
4. In this class, we learn a lot almost every day.
5. In this class, we learn to correct our mistakes.
According to the study, it mattered more that teachers had control over their classroom AND made it a challenging place to be. Those two conditions must exist for more optimal student learning.
This study was summarized by Amanda Ripley in the October 2012 edition of The Atlantic.