Undermining College Persistence
Interesting work by the Pass With Flying Colors organization. Click below for more information
PWFC research efforts have included compiling interesting themes of obstacles to overcome for first-generation college goers. These 5 seem most compelling:
1. Lack of academic preparation in HS that includes reading at college level, Science competency, and demonstrated critical thinking skills
2. Lack of understanding of college expectations including academic rigor, organization, study and time management skills, and self-advocacy
3. Insecurity that stems from socioeconomic differences between themselves and their college peers
4. Insufficient support network of peers and adults who can provide guidance for unfamiliar [college] situations
5. Inadequate financial aid packages for 4 years and/or heavily weighted with loans
We’ve all heard it before. It is one thing to get them ready for college and quite another to help them complete college. Looks like some of these obstacles must be dealt with during high school, and well before our graduates hit the college doorstep.
Kudos to PWFC and the work they are doing.